Fuller Seminary Student Handbook


Grading Scale. Grades have been assigned the following numerical values for the purpose of computing the grade point average:

A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
F 0.0

All other grades, including P (Pass), SA (Satisfactory), I (Incomplete), and H (Hold) are not computed in your grade point average. Courses which continue past the closing of a quarter will show the grade IP (In Progress) until the course ends and the grades are entered. RD (Report Delayed) indicates that the course has ended but the professor has not yet submitted a grade.

Course Grading Policy Statements. A clear statement of the grading policy for any course offered by the seminary must be included in the course syllabus. This must include such matters as:

  • the criteria by which the grade will be assigned, including the relative weight of assignments, examinations, and other factors
  • whether a student whose work is not completed at the end of the quarter may receive an Incomplete (or Hold in some programs), a reduction in grade, or an F, and on what basis this will be decided
  • what grade penalties (if any) will be assessed for the portion of the course work that is incomplete
  • a statement of the seminary policy on when the completed course work is to be submitted to the professor
  • whether a reduction of grade or a grade of F will be given if work is not completed and turned in at the end of the Incomplete (or Hold) period.

Grade Reports. Grades for a quarter are received and recorded by the Registrar’s Office by the end of the week after the quarter ends. At that time, you can view your grades online. Go to the Registrar’s Office home page (http://www.fuller.edu/registrar) and click on Student Records Menu under Other Useful Links on the left. Log in, if you have not already done so, and then select either “Academic Transcript”, or “Most Recent Quarter Grades”.

Quarterly grade reports list only the grades for a single quarter. Grade changes due to completing work under Incompletes or Holds (as well as any other authorized changes) are recorded as they are received. To see if a grade has been changed, go to the Registrar’s Office home page (www.fuller.edu/registrar) and click on Student Records Menu under Other Useful Links on the left. Then select Academic Transcript. Please note that grade changes will never be reflected in Most Recent Quarter Grades.

Grade Changes. Faculty members may submit grade changes for several reasons, such as errors in calculation, reevaluation of work previously graded, or completion of work under an Incomplete or Hold. Grade changes are not accepted for work submitted after the quarter without an Incomplete or Hold, or for work redone, or for work submitted after the deadline for an Incomplete or Hold after the initial grade is recorded. Individual faculty members are not authorized to extend deadlines under any circumstances. An approved grade change will appear on the transcript as soon as it is entered.

After a period of two years, it is presumed that both you and the faculty member involved have had ample opportunity to be aware of the grade recorded and to see that any appropriate adjustment has been made. At this point any grade recorded becomes permanent and cannot be changed.

No Grade Replacement. All grades recorded become a permanent part of your academic history. If you receive a failing grade, that grade will always remain on your record and count in the cumulative GPA. Retaking a class does not replace the earlier grade; the new registration and grade will also be recorded on your permanent record. Only one instance of a repeated class can fulfill a degree requirement.

Pass/Fail Policy. MDiv students may choose to take up to six classes (24 units) on a Pass/Fail basis, and MAT, MATM, and MAICS students may take up to four classes (16 units) Pass/Fail. Every four units of Transfer Credit or Advanced Standing reduces the number of units you can take Pass/Fail by the same amount.

The Pass/Fail option is intended to encourage you to explore courses and schedules that you might not otherwise attempt, or to help students who anticipate difficulty with required courses. It is considered a privilege, and its purpose demands that the option be exercised at the beginning of a course. Accordingly, there is a deadline for selecting this option (or reversing it), and petitions to change this status in either direction after the deadline are almost never granted.

You may choose the Pass/Fail option when registering. Changes in status may be made through the end of the day (11:59pm Pacific Time) Friday of the first week of the quarter for ten-week courses; through the end of the first Tuesday in one- and two-week intensive classes; and through Wednesday of the first week of five-week sessions; and through Wednesday after the first weekend in weekend classes. Changes must be made through the online registration.

Faculty members submit regular grades for all students, but only the P (if you pass the class, or F if you do not) is entered on the transcript if you choose this option. The grade of Pass is not calculated in your grade point average, but an F is calculated. You may request, by appointment, to find out the grade the professor actually submitted in a course, but that grade can never be recorded in place of the Pass and can never be reported by anyone at Fuller in any way.

If you are on academic probation (including Special students), you may take courses on a Pass/Fail basis, but the grades actually submitted will be considered in evaluating your academic progress and in making decisions concerning your status.

If you anticipate the possibility of ordination in the future, you should find out how your denomination views Pass/Fail grades. (The actual grades cannot be reported just because you find out later that you need grades in certain classes.)

If you anticipate the possibility of doctoral work or other advanced study, remember that admissions committees will not have access to the grades submitted for courses you took on a Pass/Fail basis, and they may not look favorably on your use of this grading option in some areas. Since the actual grades cannot ever be reported, you should exercise great care in making this choice.